Why Christianity is Ridiculous
8thJul 19, 2010
- **I spent like, 30 minutes typing this out... please read.**
I grow up in a the Bible Belt in conservative Christian-land. And let me tell you, it's pissing me off. I hate going to church every Sunday and hear all this nonsense about God and Jesus. I hate people at school and just in life in general use the Bible against me or other people, or tell me that I need to believe in God and whatnot.
The truth is, religion was an invented practice that serves us a few purposes. These are as followed....
1) Religion gives us an idea of the unknown. Nobody knows what happens after we die, and nobody will ever know until they experience it themselves. People find comfort in believing they know what comes after death, so whether it's true or not, they continue to hammer religious thoughts of the afterlife into their head so they feel more comfortable about the inevitability of dying.
2) Religion gives people a sense of meaning and belonging. So many times you've heard the story of the miserable "lost soul" who was blind without the presence of God in their lives, but once they're found religion, they've suddenly become and happy, healthy individual. The truth is, there's nothing Godly about that. It's simply the sense of belonging and meaning that was brought to this person's life because of the church community and the false ideals of what life is about. Being apart of a community that is based on religion makes people feel good, which in turn makes them happy. They also feel like there is new meaning to their once meaningless life. What sounds better, living life only to struggle and eventually die, or living life to serve a god, follow his every rule, and then leave the Earth to spend an eternity in paradise for believing the Christian church. I say the latter.
3) It gives people an easy excuse. It's so easy to blame something on religion. One someone epicly fucks up, they can just say "Oh, well I am in no control of my life. It was God's plan for me to do this, so there was nothing I could have done." No, you just suck at life.
4) Religion is used as a scare tactic to keep society orderly (which fails for a different reason other than present, aka it creates wars and rifts in societies). Religious figures will say "if you don't do this and that, you'll spend and eternity burning in Hell!". If you are raised and have a shadow of belief in what you are taught is actually true, you wouldn't dare question your religion, as it ends in the ultimate punishment: an eternity in Hell. So, you continue to behave under the control of the Christian church and whatever higher powers invest in it. Yeah, I'm kind of starting to sounds like a conspirator, but whatever.
Now, the Bible. The Bible is simply a bunch of old stories written thousands of years ago compiled into one book presumably "written by God". No, it wasn't. I was just a bunch of old guys telling stories with morals in each of them. You don't see me worshiping the book of Aesop, do you? I think it's incredibly insane to take what anything in this book says literally. I mean, do you really believe a man was given "God-like powers" and the ability to part the Red Sea to escape from slavery? Do you REALLY believe that there are invisible, winged men flying around from another dimension to look over us at all times? Do you *REALLY* believe that a man named Jesus was given magical healing powers as well as the power to bring himself back from the dead and float up into the air to ascend to heaven? No, none of that really happened. They're just stories that people have taken to a ridiculous extent of seriousness.
There are many reasons why I am convinced that Christianity and religion has a whole is complete bullshit. If you're a Christian, please answer any of these questions to enlighten me on the great truth.
1. If there is a God, what came before him? How was he created? Do you really think it is possible for a man with mystical powers to suddenly create the whole universe and everything ever created?
2. Why have we never heard, seen, or truly and definitively felt the presence of God? Sure, people have made claims to have heard God speak to them, or send them messages, or have felt him in their souls or whatever, but the truth is, absolutely no claims of hearing, seeing, or feeling God have ever been verified and could be used as proof of an existing God. So tell me, why don't we have that proof?
3. Where are Heaven and Hell? They certainly aren't above or below us like the Bible says. What, are they off in another dimension somewhere hiding from us? If you find either of these places, please tell me.
4. Why do we still have so much needless suffering in this world? Some people will say "we were put on this Earth to experience suffering", but is it really necessary for a the Holocaust to happen? Is it really necessary for the meaningless killings of millions of innocent people throughout various wars in the world? What's the point of this kind of suffering when it does us no good?
5. There is too much scientific evidence stacked up against religion's favor. Creationism has already basically been disproved, as we have been able to confirm the existence of living things to millions of years ago as opposed to the 4,000 years the Bible suggests. That's just one example. Many, many things mentioned in the Bible are just not physically possible in any way shape or form considering what we know today. How much evidence does religion have in it's favor? Practically none.
6. Why do we have so many religions today? If there's only one God (or any God for that matter), certainly we would only have one religion.
Think, why do Christians believe what they believe? Did any of them figure out the "ultimate truth" themselves? No. If God really existed, do you not think that people would be able to discover the idea of God on their own? Most people believe what they believe because of how they were raised. If you are told these "facts" every day of your life from when you're a small child, up until you're an adult, you're likely to believe these as facts and not question them because you've never been taught to even consider religion as false.
Please comments on your views as well, as I would love to hear them.
Okay, I'm done. Sorry for being an asshole. :)
Leave a comment