This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

Week 1 — Your Taste

Topic » Week 1 — Your Taste

372 days 8 hours ago
Maxi1234
Hello, hello! Like the previous two seasons, we like to start off simple. The idea of this theme is to gather as much knowledge as possible on what makes YOUR taste unique. This is an opportunity to really stand out, prove your spot in the competition, and give us a quick taste of what we can expect throughout the competition.

This theme also gives you an idea on what the judges like as well, so you can either play it safe, or try to take a risk that will appeal the entire panel. The strategy is all up to you!

Make sure to check the "previously submitted songs" link on the group's main page, so you don't submit a song that was already used before!

Send in a functioning link in your respective Discord channels! Good luck!

Deadline ends at 11:20 EST, Sunday May 14th.
371 days ago
Maxi1234
Avenly [Death]
Personally for me, this wasn't bad by ANY means. I consider myself to be an avid fan of Melanie and I truly got excited seeing this submission, but I kind of had the feeling it wouldn't translate well with the other two judges. I feel like Melanie to you, is like Rita to me. People expect it from us. I will commend you for staying true to your taste. Hopefully, you get to show us a bit more versatility, because I do think that's what harmed your overall score this week. :(

CocoVanderbilt [Let's Make A Mistake Tonight]
Oh, I loved this. I was a bit worried for you because I do consider you to be a "hit or miss" kind of girl, but this week, you really put the bar to a high standard. Vocally, lyrically, and sonically... this is what I want and expect to be submitted every week. It's unique, I've never heard it before, so generally speaking, I got excited hearing it for the first time. There's just something so natural, yet so comforting about this submission and I really do think this is one of the best submission of the week!

CoolKat [Expectations]
Honestly, this was good. But, I can see why the other judges felt a bit empty from this. I do think it's a solid pop song, and I can see myself saving it to my library. I do think what kind of failed you was that it wasn't a good ENOUGH pop song. It's just... fine. I loved it more than most submissions because it's very up-my-alley, but I do think to commend to all three judges there had to be an extra wow factor to it, that I feel was kind of missing. Nonetheless, I wouldn't have put you in the bottom three if it were only up to me, so I do wanna say that you shouldn't take this too harshly! I know you'll apply the critiques next week and I'm excited to see how you do! :D

JourdanBabyXoXo [Idoru]
I liked this, and I know Nevra is gonna swallow this WHOLE! Vocally and musically, this is the type of shit that I like. It's very dancey, you can shake your ass to it, but there's also a story being told, which is something I think Grimes does very well with her artistry. My only downside from this is the length of the song. It's very long and it kind of gets repetitive after the 3-4 minute mark. I think had you went the same direction, with a regular-length song, you easily could have won this week... but I'm just being nit-picky! Overall, this was a solid submission and a great way to start off the season!

LittleMix [Calling U Back]
Damn, this was rich. I had very high expectations from you coming into this because you host your own game, and you seem very in-tune with what you like. I think your main issue in this game will probably be catering to my taste, specially. I like more upbeat pop songs. While I think you did a GREAT job catering to all three this week, I'm scared you'll kind of get lost in translation down the road. HOWEVER... your taste is fantastic, and this is a great representation of it. Your top three spot was definitely well earned, and like I said, you are for sure one to beat in this competition. My eyes are PEELED for your submissions.

Paul028 [Harness Your Hopes]
When I saw the thumbnail I was instantly worried. There was just something off about the vibe from the start, and while I did openly tell you to feel free to change whenever, before I even LISTENED to the song... I knew you were into some deep shit, LMFAO. This was... bad. He sounded like he snorted three lines of coke before singing in his mum's garage. I expected a lot more from you because I've played with you before in games like these, but damn, this was... strange. God, I feel BAD... omg... I LOVE YOU THOUGH. #PaulForPresident
371 days ago
Maxi1234
CutieAmy's critiques

AVENLY
I feel like the song heavily relies on the build up and the way the chorus was made to save the song, but it didn't for, it was repetitive, innovative, and boring. I dont mind it when a song gets repetitive at times, but it has to be done in such a creative non nauseating way.

ANDREW
she was basic, but not in a bad way. I fear the song isn't timeless in that sense, like I may come back to it, but not really... since I have similar songs to this one, with a better font. But overall, a solid song, but expecting more.

KEMI
The marias... this certainly brings memories. I wish you went with a different submission, because they have better songs than this one, but since their other BETTER songs are in Spanish, not surprised you have chosen not to submit any of them, since you only listen to English speaking songs. Anyway, not like you know their other songs to begin with. I do like this, I used to be obsessed with it, but it wraps up in such a boring way, and that's one of the things that made me not rank it #1 on my list.

JOURDAN
oh this bitch. I never listened to a song by hers in full, but I was pleasantly surprised, she is giving Lana on meth. I mean I don't think she can sing because of the effects she has on her voice, but yeah the song is up my alley.

COCO
Good song.

PAUL
this is so bad like I am sorry what is this?? I am all for venturing out and posting indie music, but this is not the sort of indie I listen to. You also like quite literally posted it like 10 minutes after the theme was announced, so I thought you were just bluffing... but you did stick with it, so it gave delusional at that point. I just can't see anyone listening to this song and feeling their oats, unless they are like low key hammered and completely out of it.
370 days 23 hours ago
turkeylover
Avenly / “DEATH” by Melanie Martinez

I’m fully assuming you’re in middle school considering the melanie send…. I also listened to her when I was in middle school! Her new album was very….. 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫 but this was easily like top 3! I like this tbh…. I’m not like in love with it, but it’s a pretty solid song! I just think as the week went on, this failed to stand out ! I was just kinda like “Oh yeah the melanie song….”

Coco / “Let’s Make a Mistake Tonight” by Tennis

YASSSS Tennis is someone I’ve been meaning to get into! This is so good and so up my alley! They executed this sound so well ! I think had anyone else did this, it would’ve just read as basic but they elevate it! Also, I love when songs feel cinematic or like, I can envision scenes with it and this has that feeling to it so good job!

Andrew / “Expectations” by Anne-Marie, MINNIE

Well…. I don’t like this <3 Anne-Marie is just so bland and boring to me…. she fr makes music for Forever 21 and H&M stores in the whitest malls I’m sorry….. Minnie is fine on this track, slightly better than Anne-Marie but yeah…. it just feels very formulaic and generic

Jourdan / “IDORU” by Grimes

OMGGGG YASSSS this ate down…. so gorgeous so stunning like…. I’ve been meaning to get into Grimes but idek where to start….. I just love this sound so much…. very dreamy but also sad??? But also cunty?? like the beat is HAWT ! This ate…. I’m gagged, miss jourdan! Keep this up !

Kemi / “Calling U Back” by The Marías

Oh I was scared at first but then the switch up >>>> ate down…. I was excited to see a song from them! I’ve also been meaning to listen to them but I never got around to it! This might be my least favorite from what I’ve heard by them BUT it’s still much better than the last half of my ranking! I do like this quite a bit, which I just think speaks volumes for their talent! Yeah…. this served !

Paul / “Harness Your Hopes” by Pavement

Girl what the fuck is this….. I was kinda feeling it until he started singing??? He’s giving minecraft youtuber attempting to make music… the lyrics are not good either…. yeah… this was a huge miss LMFAO I do applaud you for sending something unknown but like….. can you make sure to send a good song next???? Like…… sorry but this was shit<3

FOR THE SAFE GIRLS:

Matt / “The Last Day” by Moby, Skylar Grey

Oh BALD…. I fully didn’t expect to this like this but this gagged me…. I love her haunting vocals…. this is kinda pretty like… I love how the instrumental gets louder and starts to drown her out idk… this is a hit!

Aron / “Bambola” by Betta Lemme

Well! There hasn’t been a Betta Lemme song that I’ve heard and liked, and this is no different! It’s like…. very okay! Probably the best I’ve heard from her tbh but yeah ! I just don’t think she’s for me<3 I do appreciate the nonenglish send though

Deshon / “Bitch (I Said It)” by Sody

This is very…. spotify discover weekly pop song LMFAO it’s cute for what it is! I hate when songs that kinda build but then go nowhere and that’s my problem here! I also hate the la la la’s sm…. The last chorus is cute but yeah… this is fine!

Galaxies / “I Miss You So” by Samara Joy

Oh this ate down omgg…. her vocals are so good like…. I knew of Samara but I didn’t know she was making music like this??? This is so gorgeous and comforting like…. It’s giving christmas music you put on the background as you bake cookies and cook dinner with your mom like aweeee so heartwarming! This is an unexpected choice for this week and I’m excited to see what you send next!

Joe / “Heaven or Las Vegas” by Cocteau Twins

Okayyyy…. this is very of its time but I like it! I recognize their name but I can’t place if I’ve heard something from them?? This definitely feels like one of the fews songs from my dad’s playlist that I can tolerate LMFAO diva!

Malamente / “Good Ones” by Charli XCX

Of all the Charli songs…. she was irking me this era because she wanted to make it seem like she was doing something intelligent like 😭😭😭 it’s okay to make music for the girls!!! Anyways, I was ready to say this aged like milk…. but it honestly still hits like…. but I do feel like she has so much better and even from the same album…. yeah, a little disappointed at it being this one but oh well!
370 days 20 hours ago
coolKat
Nevra got me good

open group

Max Ora Song Contest

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!