This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

Week 7 — Samples, Samples, Samples

Topic » Week 7 — Samples, Samples,..

359 days ago
Maxi1234
After Jourdan scored her first win, and Kemi survived by a singular, microscopic thread... this week, a new challenge awaits.

We are THREE rounds from the grand finale, so this is where your submissions need to count, as the points will be closer than ever.

For this week's theme, we're kicking into full TikTok gear as we head into our most MAINSTREAM submissions yet.

I want you to submit a song that has a sample.

If you don't know what a sample is, here's a definition I got off Miss Google :

"Sampling in essence is when you include an element of a pre-existing recording by someone else in your composition. The sample can be anything that you've 'sampled' from another track; a rhythm, a melody, a beat, vocals or speech, which you then manipulate, edit, chop up or loop to fit creatively within your work."

So, yeah! Think I'm Good (Blue) by David Guetta and Bebe Rexha. It samples Blue (Da Be Dee) by Eiffel 65.

RULES FOR THIS WEEK :
- Just make sure to submit the song that is being sampled within your submission, so we know that there actually is one.

You guys will have 24 hours until May 26th at 8:30 EST.

Best of luck sample pops!
359 days ago
Maxi1234
** To avoid confusion, the two song rule is starting at final 6. So for THIS WEEK, you will need to submit ONE SONG... but you need to specify which song your submission samples.
357 days 2 hours ago
Maxi1234
Let's get this started off.
357 days 2 hours ago
Maxi1234
In SECOND place... with a score of 29 points... placing HIGH...
357 days 2 hours ago
Maxi1234
Deshon / Hung Up by Madonna

MAX
Similarly, to Matt, this is also another submission I can’t NOT rank this in my top three. I’ve had this song on my playlist for ages and there’s just a timeless about this era of Madonna’s career. The sample is super evident yet done so well in a way that you’d agree that this version is better than the original. I also think you tried to take a more obscure route by submitting a song that isn’t necessarily associated with the current day and age of sampling. You’ve done well this whole competition and I’m happy to say you’ve done phenomenally again!

ALI
Madonna... Oh god another throwback, one I forgot it even existed. This is when Maddona became so corny in my eyes. But its not bad, I can see Nevra liking this, and maybe Max. So yeah good job this week, I guess?

NEVRA
No like…. this truly is such an iconic pop song like…. It samples a song I love sm already and still made something just as good with it !! Madonna mother fr fr yeah! this was tew good
357 days 2 hours ago
Maxi1234
In THIRD place... with 27 points, winning the tiebreaker in a 2 to 1 vote... placing HIGH...
357 days 2 hours ago
Maxi1234
Andrew / S&M by Rihanna

MAX
Oh, this is a CLASSIC! I didn’t even know it had a sample, honestly. I think you also managed to do a bit of research to dig out something like this. I feel like this is truly one of Rihanna’s best songs, and anyone who says other can argue with the wall. Her vocals, the instrumental, the lyrics… everything about this is iconic and timeless, and anyone who disagrees can argue with the wall. These last two themes have been very up your alley, so I’m hoping you can keep the momentum up after this week as well! Good job!

ALI
Riri was such an obvious pick for this theme, but like this song is one her best... so I can't hate on it, and I can't even drag it to the bottom for doing an overplayed song when others did the same thing. So this is going to be mid tier for me.

NEVRA
Oh bawp…. a classic!! duh…. I don’t think there’s really anything to say about this that hasn’t been said already! I don’t know it’s just a rlly good pop song! I do think that maybe it drags a little?? but yeah ate etc etc
357 days 2 hours ago
Maxi1234
In FOURTH place... with 27 points, losing the tiebreaker in a 2 to 1 vote... placing SAFE...

Kemi / Look What You Made Me Do by Taylor Swift

MAX
You submit this after the “KEMI… KEMI WAIT!” double save last week is kind of iconic. I feel like this fits the storyline narrative I’m kind of setting up for you. Now, taking a risk with Taylor is ballsy considering I’m very vocal about my unfunctional relationship with miss Swift and her fanbase, but I cannot deny the iconicness of this song. I do THINK… it’s an okay submission though. Not my favourite, not my most hated. To me, this is what I’d consider the “safe” submission of the week. Personally, I preferred the Drew Sycamore but taste is subjective I guess!

ALI
This is like one of those singles so good so bad at the same time, like I remember when it first came out I hated it, but it aged like wine. But out of all submissions, it seems the most unoriginal to me, you in danger girl.

NEVRA
OKAYYYYYY I may dislike Taylor now but I can’t ever and will never deny that this song is a HIT ! I think she used the sample very well and made something distinctive with it! Yeah…. bawp
357 days 2 hours ago
Maxi1234
In FIFTH place... with 26 points, placing LOW...
357 days 2 hours ago
Maxi1234
Jourdan / Smile by Lily Allen

MAX
I also didn’t know this was a sample. Lily Allen was submitted last season and I LOVED it. Her songs usually don’t stick with me, but they tend to grow on later. This is cute. I liked it. Comparing it to other heavy hitters though, I can see how this would fade in comparison as well. It’s not bad by any means, I just think it’s very middle of the road. Her vocals are kind of funky at times, but I think that’s just Lily’s shtick. The “lalala’s” at the end are also wild... like those were NAWT needed and whoever told her to do that lied to her face.

ALI
Well this is so unoriginal, but I guess it's a throwback? Idk, idc about it that much. I used to adore this song, but it has lost that affect on me. I guess you thought doing a classic would make us feel nostalgic. But I must say you are keeping true to yourself, not doing something super out of character, is that a good thing? Well yes since you are being consistent. But is it a bad thing as well? Maybe... since it makes you predictable, but we shall see how the other two judges rank you.

NEVRA
I’m not super big on Lily Allen…. outside of “Chinese” of course, everything she does is just so british and yeah! This is cute it bawps etc etc It just kinda reeks of nostalgic pop songs you probably forgot about youtube video
357 days 2 hours ago
Maxi1234
That leaves Aron, Galaxies and Matt.
357 days 2 hours ago
Maxi1234
In SIXTH and SEVENTH place... with 24 and 22 points, headed to the battle stage...
357 days 2 hours ago
Maxi1234
Aron / Same Ol’ Mistakes by Rihanna

MAX
Honestly… I was surprisingly enjoying this. It’s not necessarily my genre, but it’s not a song you’d expect being submitted in a category like this one. I do think there was effort put in on your end to submit something that isn’t « obvious », and I must applaud you for that! I think you’ve had a solid run in this competition, so adding this song to your catalogue isn’t much too surprising! My only issue is that the song is super long, and it can get a bit boring after a while, but that’s just me being picky.

ALI
Oh this is cute... I never heard of it before. Yeah I like it, I am glad you went with a song that many of us probably never heard of, and didn't rely on one of her known singles. So I will give you A for that.

NEVRA
Well! I still haven’t heard ANTI in full but it kinda feels like an era I respect more than I like? But mother etc etc this is fine….just way too long?? I think this is a bold send that just unfortunately got really outshined this week….
357 days 2 hours ago
Maxi1234
Aron, my dear... you are up for eliminaysha lopez.
357 days 2 hours ago
Maxi1234
Also headed to the battle stage...

Galaxies / All Night Parking by Adele & Erroll Garner

MAX
First of all… who the hell is Erroll? And secondly, I kind of started doing the rankings and I genuinely thought this song was an advert… LMAO. I can understand people like this, but for me, it’s just not something I’d necessarily gravitate towards. This week had a lot of heavy hitters, so I think this kind of faded in comparison. Not much of a fan, sorry. 

ALI
You were smart for picking an album that I assume not many listened to lmao like Adeld is so 2018... but anyway yeah it slays, her vocals like I can't even begin to describe them, it's freaking Adele! I am glad even though you went mainstream, you submitted a hidden gem.

NEVRA
Well! I’m not a fan of Adele really LMFAO I just don’t like ballads so I kinda find everything she does a tad boring (she has some hits I won’t lie) I think sending an interlude is an interesting choice but it worked because I can’t say it’s long and boring! Yeah…. it’s just really nice…. but unfortunately I just kinda liked every other song a bit more
357 days 2 hours ago
Maxi1234
Which means, MATT has won the challenge! An underdog story has begun.

Matt / My Head & My Heart by Ava Max

MAX
I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy this submission. It’s very up my alley, and it’s a sample done right. I’d consider Ava to be one of the few artists that knows how to do an obvious sample, but almost always managing to outdo the original. This is upbeat, dance oriented, and you can’t deny that it really puts you in the mood. This might just be one of my favourite submissions from you in a LONG while.

ALI
Well this song is a bop. The samples have been done so well too. I think you kill-it this week. Ava Max is actually not as cancerous as many people think, and by people meaning me, idk why I have such beef with her in my head, when she does deliver bops.

NEVRA
Yeah….. I know I’m supposed to drag Ava Max, and while she’s still a flop, this song truly is a hit like…. it’s just so good??? one of her 2 serves actually…. jorgeous you will always be famous

open group

Max Ora Song Contest

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!