This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

Week 8 — Opposites Attract

Topic » Week 8 — Opposites Attract

340 days 10 hours ago
Maxi1234
Last week, we said goodbye to our dear friend Galaxies. Sad times. We're finally down to our last few remaining contestants, and this is where things will start to kick into full gear.

For this week's theme, we are giving you guys a bit more room to submit songs that are true to you... but with a twist.

OPPOSITES ATTRACT! Yes, this means you will submit TWO songs that have an opposite meaning and feeling to each other. The interpretation is all yours.

For example, "Heaven & Hell" from our third week's theme could be a viable concept for this.

TL;DR

- Submit TWO songs that have an opposite meaning from each other (lyrically, musically, conceptually, etc.)

- Be specific in which artistic direction you're choosing to go, JUST TELL US WHAT YOU'RE DOING! (ex: Heaven & Hell, Fast & Slow, etc.)

- Make sure to label your songs as "submission A" and "submission B", the songs will be divided in TWO groups, then tallied up for the final score, to make for easier judging, so your song has a chance to stand out.

Best of luck! I'll try to do results tonight if everyone submits by then, if it not... I want all songs by TOMORROW MORNING!
339 days ago
Maxi1234
In FIRST PLACE... with 66 out of 72 points...
339 days ago
Maxi1234
Jourdan with Grapevine & Eye for an Eye!

MAX
Although Grapevine was a bit of a snooze for me, I do think you really covered ALL your bases with the Rina song this week. Your submission is one of my favourites this week, and of the entire season so far. You truly did your research and I think you deserve all your flowers this week. I honestly believe you probably put the most thought into your submissions, and I'm happy to have seen it pay off in such a good way!

ALI
Oh I already know this song, so obviously I love it. It's one of those timeless songs that never get old, even though I didn't listen to it much... Yeah this will be a hard one to knock out. Good job.

Oof you can cut the tension the song is embodying with a knife. I can definitely the vengeful tone you are describing, like the song has this deadly eerie vibe about it. I am glad Rina is getting the recognition she deserves, landing a John Which gig.

NEVRA
Oh I love Weyes Blood! I still haven’t heard any albums in full but!! I have liked everything I’ve heard! This is just so pretty :3 and the girls who sent slow songs this week, needs to take notes!! this is how you do a slow song that doesn’t make me want to bash my head in! Yeah :3 You’re so NSC coded….. Now, I was worried when I saw Rina Sawayama but this is honestly eating! She did eat down in John Wick tbh…. mother a bit! I do like this tbh she does this sound well! It’s also very Emma Frost coded I’m sure you get the reference because you’re gay and a nerd but yes I like anything Emma Frost coded tbh!! Yeah… I also LOVED your concept the most! I think the same story told in 2 different ways is just genius! You ate so hard
339 days ago
Maxi1234
Jourdan earns her second win of the season with this.
339 days ago
Maxi1234
In SECOND PLACE... with 58 points...
339 days ago
Maxi1234
Kemi with Serial Lover & Remember When!

MAX
I was initially pretty worried with your submissions because I DO think you were a bit lazy with them, but I'm super happy to have seen them pay off in such a right way. Although, to me, the Kehlani song was the winning submission, I do think you could've done maybe a bit more with Tinashe. I do think you played it very well considering you were probably at risk to go home the most, but I'm happy to have seen you pull out all the stunts this week!

ALI
I don't listen to Kehlani that much, so this song is a first for me. It is pleasantly good. Seeing how much you like her, I guess we have expected for you to submit her sooner than later. But for having such devotion to her, the description could have been better... but it won't affect your submission.

I am not gonna lie when I saw Tinashe next to Kehlani... like it seemed as if you were only catering to Nevra because you known she likes R&B. Needless to say I have enjoyed this submission, like obviously it's good. It's a matter of how I rank it compared to the others now.

NEVRA
You’re so annoying like…. “the judges are gonna hate!!” but then you send 2 hits… Serial Lover is good! I really need to get into Kehlani! She mothered this a bit! And of course…. “Remember When”…. Tinashe never misses! Remember When isn’t my favorite from the album but that album is so good like… anyways you munched this week!! diva!!
339 days ago
Maxi1234
In THIRD PLACE... with 57 points... winning the tiebreaker in a 4-2 vote...
339 days ago
Maxi1234
MATT with Killshot & So What!

ALI
Okay right from the jump the song is getting to me, loves it. The beat is there so yes go off. Your description well explains the deadly nature of love that's being set to us in this song. This will be hard to top, because I can see myself coming back to it.

Well this was a throwback I didn't wanna listen to. Like I did shrug when I saw you submitting it. Like the song isn't bad, if anything it's her one of her best singles. But it's like so... I even did drag some submissions in the past round for not being original, so I need to maintain same standards here.

MAX
I do think your first submission carried you this week. That Pink song was so incredibly basic, I don't even KNOW why you even considered something as simple as that for the top six. But, on the other hand, the "Killshot" song is one of my FAVOURITES of the week, so I can understand why you're sitting kind of in the middle of the pack. You took risks this week, and although they didn't pay off completely, they did well enough to secure yourself a spot in the top five!

NEVRA
Okay! I like Killshot and I love Magdalena Bay! I do think they have a lot better but Killshot is still super cute and fun! It feels like a cute english kpop song yk? The chorus is just so sugary sweet! And then we get to So What! and…… well! I mean I like it duh a classic etc etc but like such a boring send??? Like…. I feel like you could’ve captured this concept in a song that wasn’t a chart topper? yk? I think Killshot was a great set up and then So What was just a letdown ):
339 days ago
Maxi1234
That leaves Andrew, Aron and Deshon at risk for elimination.
339 days ago
Maxi1234
In FIFTH PLACE... with 57 points... losing the tiebreaker in a 4-2 vote...
339 days ago
Maxi1234
Aron with Haunt and Happy!

MAX
I really enjoyed "Haunt". This, to me, is a slow song done right. There was a build-up, there was emotion, the lyrics were super great and I honestly couldn't have asked for a better song. HOWEVER, your Marina song is where I can't really rank you any higher. I HATED her accapella vocals at the start. Althought Froot is one of her best albums, I do think any other song from the album would've done a better job at carrying you through the week. I did love your concept though, it was very much my favourite.

ALI
Well choosing depression and happiness isn't the most creative, but the song is actually good. The lyrics are good and everything else about the song is hauntingly beautiful. The build up is a nice touch. We will see how it pairs up with the other submissions because it's a solid submission, for now.

Well I do adore Marina, and even though I have listened to this before, I forgot what it sounds  like. I would say it's definitely one of her most overlooked songs, so good on you for submitting a hidden gem. Ugh this song is actually super cute the more it goes, yeah I can't tank this lol.

NEVRA
Okay! Well….. Haunt is so dated :/ The little ringing in the production is giving like Alan Walker…. I like the build though! But overall, it just reeks of 2016 and I can’t look past that…. Now Marina is jumpscare….. but I do like Happy! I do like the similarities in the sound but the difference in the lyrics and subject! Yeah….
339 days ago
Maxi1234
That leaves Andrew and Deshon to battle it out on the battle stage.
339 days ago
Maxi1234
Critiques for ANDREW
ALI
the cover of the song lmao... let's see if the song is any better. Okay its not bad... I am bopping to it, it has that catchy good feel vibe to it. I can see the other two judges liking this.

Yes the opposite you have chosen is a bit on the noise, but the song is bopping, ngl. I can see Max liking this. And I will say its better than your A submission.

NEVRA
Taste So Good is cute! It’s catchy! It definitely does just feel like a song made for an ad rather than an actual song! I like the idea more than execution but yeah! I will also say that they all worked well together tbh no one outshined the other! Considering there’s like 4 people on this track! Now sickly sweet…. I was so ready to drag this because I don’t like dark pop but this kinda served?? Well, I like the production at least! The chorus is nice too! I don’t really have much else to say? I think your concept was fun too!

Critiques for DESHON
ALI
Okay this wasn't as basic as I thought it would be. It's actually kinda touching to listen to, like come through lyrics and vocals. Like truly not bad... I can see myself listening to this and adding it to my chill vibes playlist.

Deshon: it's one those songs I expect to know what it's gonna sound like, because I know couple of Alexander's songs. But this one I haven't heard before, so you got lucky! It's not bad to be honest, like the song belongs to what I like to call "basic, but make it good". Your other submission is so much better.

NEVRA
Well! Like I said with Aron, Bluebird just reeks of 2016! So dated, so of its time! I don’t like it  😄 I will say, I do like the more somber take on a love song! I do appreciate a little bit of the production development! I think it has the potential to be a really gorgeous song but it’s being held back by the 2016ness of it! Now leave me in the dark…. oh deshon…. why would you send this I don’t like this at all 😭 it’s corny it’s giving Lewis Capaldi, Calum Scott type beat…. just very white. :/ This was not your week ❤️

open group

Max Ora Song Contest

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!