This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

Week 9 - Deep Meaning & Free For All

Topic » Week 9 - Deep Meaning &..

338 days 19 hours ago
CutieAmy
Hello contestants, congrats on making it to the top five!

For this week you are asked yet again to submit two songs.

Theme 9.1: You are tasked with submitting a song that has a DEEP meaning to it, or a meaningful message to convey, conceptual songs work best here. This means stray away from corny cheesy songs! This theme is meant to test your ability to submit a song that has layers to it meaning wise, if you don't have such a song in your pocket, then what are you doing here? This goes without saying, include description, as we will not be doing the thinking for you.

Theme 9.2: Alright, this one is a straightforward one. Post any song aimed to impress. This is your chance to shut us the hell up and prove to us that you are worthy of being here! We have been hard on you this season because we expect a lot from you, so prove us right that you have what it takes to win this whole competition, as this could be your last chance to ever impress us, so make it count!

You will have 24 hours to submit, deadline being 1:15 AM EST 31/05.
338 days 14 hours ago
Maxi1234
This theme is called MY LAST HURRAH! Ali didn’t put it. Fuck him. Ruining my aesthetic.
336 days 22 hours ago
Maxi1234
Alright, results time.
336 days 22 hours ago
Maxi1234
In JOINT-SECOND PLACE... with 63 points...
336 days 22 hours ago
Maxi1234
Aron with Pienso En Tu Mirá & High Alone!

MAX
First, I will commend you for taking a risk by submitting a non-English song in a category about “Deep Meanings”, where not everyone will be able to understand the depth of the song. HOWEVER, I do think you should be nothing less than proud of this submission. Your description really helped us feel the song, and it put the entire story in perspective for me, personally. Despite the risk, I don’t think the song was deep enough compared to other people’s submissions, however, this is still a super fantastic submission and I’ll give you my stamp of approval!

When it comes to “High Alone”, I initially had it last upon my first listen… but it really grows on you when you give it another chance. I think she’s difficult to understand because she kind of drags her words when she’s singing, but the instrumental and the direction of the song is what makes this a lot better for me. Her vocals are super soothing, and I love when her lower tone accompanied by the heavy instrumental. Good job! I liked this.

ALI
While I do appreciate taking the time to analyse the music video, I wish you correlated your understanding of it and was able to relate it to the lyrics, because quite frankly, I will not be doing that on your behalf. But I did bothered to check the lyrics, and... I didn't fully understand the meaning behind some lines, and that's what you should have focused on, because we typically focus more checking the lyrics rather than the music video to be able to judge. But A for effort and for actually understanding what the theme is all about.

Oh this different, unique, and doesn't sound like many of the  other submissions that have been submitted this week. I will definitely be ranking this high. I would say if I came across it, I would feel intrigued and save it. Sevdaliza is an artist I am interred in, so this was a great start to boost up my interest.

NEVRA
Oh this ate…. i like all the symbolism as well! And the song bawped!! no like you really did write a whole essay for this… diva! yeah this is good!

Kinda bald by this…. kinda need to get into Sevdaliza….. this is so good, kinda sultry…. i really am enjoying this :3 you really stepped it up this week imo…. diva
336 days 22 hours ago
Maxi1234
Congrats! You've made it to the finale.
336 days 22 hours ago
Maxi1234
Also in JOINT-SECOND PLACE... with 63 points...
336 days 22 hours ago
Maxi1234
Jourdan with Ribs and Last Minute!

MAX
This song has been out for a while, and even though I’ve never truly been a Lorde fan I do understand why many regard this as her best piece. It’s super gorgeous, lyrically, and musically, and you can really feel yourself submerged in her storytelling abilities. I can also appreciate that you’ve morphed up your style these past few weeks, and I can honestly say that the choice played off extremely well! Good job!

This is giving me space creature; hyper pop realness and I truly did live for this. Her vocals are so pretty, and I think they match well with the vibe she was headed for with the song. This is super different than your other submissions, and I think you made this work well. However, I do think there could’ve been more done to the song to make it a bit better. It’s a bit on the basic side, but it’s not a pain to listen to. I just feel like there’s more than I wanted from when it came to this. Good job, though! I liked this thoroughly. 

ALI
well that description was certainly a choice and a total bore to read. Like I get what you are saying, but its like you are giving me a general idea of what the song is about and I am like supposed to connect the rest of the dots. Needless to say it's a good song, I am surprised I never heard of it before, but the title does sound familiar.

oh I have this saved taste! It's definitely different from what you usually submit, so we do appreciate getting out of your comfort zone, and served us this bop! I will be surprised if the other judges tank this.

NEVRA
Well…. the way this is kinda the best song this week but also arguably the most obvious….. it’s just so good…. Lorde captured the fear of growing up so well without being corny…. some songs this week shouldve took notes….. the production is just so immaculate like….

oh I know kitty…. mother!! she ate in the pom-poms!! this is so up my alley!! loves the production sm…. yeah! this is a hit!
336 days 22 hours ago
Maxi1234
Congrats! You've also made the finale.
336 days 22 hours ago
Maxi1234
That leaves Deshon, Kemi and Matt. One of you wins, and the other two will battle it out in the final Face-Off of the season.
336 days 22 hours ago
Maxi1234
In FIRST PLACE... with a mere 64 points...
336 days 22 hours ago
Maxi1234
Deshon with Ice Cream Man and Glue!

MAX
I’ve heard many tracks off this RAYE album before, but I never really cared about it entirely because it was… different. HOWEVER, I REALLY underestimated her story-telling abilities and the delivery of this song. I think you sent in the best submission by far regarding this first theme. There’s a story being told, and you can hear the emotion in her voice and understand what she’s singing about… it doesn’t leave you much to interoperate, and you can feel for her. Very, very good job. Super proud of you Desh!

“Glue” was sooooo Maxi-coded and I can’t say that I hated that at ALL. This was ALMOST number one for me again, but someone outdid you at the last second. I heard the beat drop, and I ended up saving this to my library immediately. This gives me 2016 pop with a modern twist, and I kind of lived for everything she was bringing to the table. This made me wanna explore the artist more, because her vocals are really in-tune with what my style is and I was just super invested with this submission! Good job, once again!

ALI
I did skip your song ngl, I have heard it many times before. Its still nice though. I can feel the emotion behind what she is saying and I bet many people can relate to the excruciating content of the song. Needless to say good job on doing well. But the song isn't exactly what I was looking for.

Not me randomly listening to a Fickle Friends song and then when I saw you submitted her, I was gagged a bit. It's definitely good and like a cute bop. I have nothing negative to say, I know shocking! Now, it's only a matter of comparing it with the other submissions.

NEVRA
Well! The story is very heartbreaking tbh…. it’s just so awful….. I’d feel bad if I said anything negative about this song so I’m gonna end my critique there ❤️

Oh I was expecting to dislike this but this ate a bit yasssss im moving!! a much needed step up from that raye song…. yasss!!
336 days 22 hours ago
Maxi1234
Congrats! You've also made the finale.
336 days 22 hours ago
Maxi1234
That leaves Kemi Lee Curtis and Matthew Murphey to battle it out on the stagé tonight.
336 days 22 hours ago
Maxi1234
Kemi received 59 points.

MAX
Starting off with “A Moment”, and honestly, I think this song is the truest form of Kemi we’ve seen so far, and I really liked it. I can see your Kehlani influences pay off here, and I believe this is such a good way to send in a song that fits to your style, while appeasing to all three judges. This bitch can SING, and normally I don’t care much for vocals, but damn she really delivered! Good job! Similarly, to others, I do think there was a lack of depth to make me feel something.

You’re a saint… and I’m a sinner. Honestly, your best submission of the season, hands down. I wish you would’ve gone this direction more because DAMN did, I LOVE this. There’s energy, vocals, a story, lyrics… it’s just a full package type-of-song for me. I have no clue if the other judges will appreciate this as much as I did, but this is probably one of the best submissions of both groups. Good job!

ALI
It's definitely a good song, probably one of the best you had submitted. I just wish it had more depth to it, but it's good enough considering it came from you. Like I am very aware you know many depressive slow songs, so I just wanted something unexpected from you. This one is very straightforward meaning wise, and if I had to compare it to Deshons whose meaning is also a straightforward one, I would have to prefer his.

This feels like something Ellise would bop to. I was pleasantly surprised by how good its. Max will enjoy this, but not Nevra I fear. Its a bop, so at least no one can take that away from you. I am just glad we received something different from what you have submitted last round.

NEVRA
okayyyy vocals….. OMGGG THATS AMBER RILEY MOTHERRR KDHSKDJEKDJD QUEEN DIVA no but this is a hit…. a little corny but she has such a strong vocal performance I don’t even mind!

Oh…. erm…. I don’t like this at all<3 bad dark pop/rock + corny why does everyone send some shit like this every week why cant I have a break???? save this shit for juscc like…..
336 days 22 hours ago
Maxi1234
Matt received 51 points.

MAX
Starting off with “Afterlife” I thought it was good. I just don’t think it was deep enough to really make me move. In a regular week, I do think this would probably be safe, or top material… but for the semi-finals? I think this kind of faded in the background. Vocally, Hailee is super good, but I do believe she has other songs that would’ve done this category justice. I wanted a bit more depth.

When it comes to “Love and Run”, I did feel like it was somewhat… deeper? than your first submission? I liked it, but there’s SO many good songs submitted this week and again, I feel like this lacked the momentum to really have it be sky rocketed higher up my rankings. It’s better when you listen to it multiple times, but like I said, it’s lacking a bit. I wish you would’ve gone more extra with the beat drop, or at least went slower… I just feel like she’s singing in this odd middle-tone that seems to water down the song. I’m sorry.

ALI
Well this is cute, certainly no deep meaning can be found, since the song doesn't offer much depth. But its a cute listen, kinda basic, but it's alright... very 2018 in essence. I just wish you went balder than this, because this song feels safe, and not top 5 worthy.

This was fine, but it feels like a distant cousin of your first submission. Again I will just reiterate myself and say this feels very safe, and a bit basic. There is nothing special about it, so unfortunately I won't coming back to it. You really didn't catch a break with me this week. Best of luck with the other two judges.

NEVRA
Oh! Hailee is kinda mom but this is very okay….  Like idk it’s just not very inspired…. however, I do like the general idea and concept of the song! the execution is just a tad basic…

Oh Lexie mom but she has better! This is just a little cheesy 😭 and sounds like la love at moments like….. idk this is just such a strange lexie liu pick like…..

open group

Max Ora Song Contest

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!