This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

Tengaged (Karaoke) Idol 13: The Top 6 Perform

Topic » Tengaged (Karaoke) Idol 13:..

3303 days 8 hours ago
TolisKalkas
with a special appearance from guest judge... FRITZYYYYY!
3303 days 8 hours ago
TolisKalkas
Comments from Tolis
Silver - This was probably your best performance for me all season. The main issue that I would address is careful on phrasing and where you take your breath. Don't want it to cut off an important line
Daniel - I was hoping for this or for "lose control"... perfect song choice, but performance fell short because the timing and phrasing just didn't seem to come naturally for you. It was like you were slightly lost on either lyrics or when to start the next line. It just ended up sounding sloppy.
Poke - I've never heard this song before but I know for a fact that it is not supposed to be sung like that. #TBT Oh good times... anyways onto your performance. It seems like it's an easy song, but oh it's not. I think it tripped you up and swung your round a couple times throughout. There were some intonation issues that really through this performance out of whack a bit.
Carson - ummm... that was a rendition.... (and all the karaoke tracks for this year are on spotify and there are multiple karaoke tracks on youtube... so I'm thinking you decided against going karaoke being it's really hard to sing well and went acapella in order to cater it to your own voice)... ANYWAYS... it just felt really robotic... like "here is this line, and the next like, and oo-oh-oo-oh-oo-oh... i think you really missed the mark with this one.
Tundra - My biggest peeve on this is how many times you optioned up. Like other than the fact that you could, what was the purpose of optioning up? It nearly gave me Dilara performance vibes... like please explain why is she smiling throughout this song? Vocally it was fantastic, but the optioning up really took away from the performance for me.
Essence - If you only had to do a verse and a chorus... the first verse and chorus were perfect. The rest had issues popping up left and right. It was quite an inconsistant performance after the first minute and 8 seconds.  Gotta find a way to keep the consistancy throughout the performance
3303 days 8 hours ago
TolisKalkas
Comments from Kyle
Silver - I actually really liked this, for the fact that it was emotionally and vocally very solid. However i'm not saying it was perfect, because there were some things that definitely needed some work, within the runs, and the key of the song. But I still think you did a very solid job. Good work!
Daniel - Well this was something different from you, but it was unique and interesting. What I liked most was how it was split between the singing and the rap. Not to mention it was a really strong vocal for you, and it was really fun. honestly, this has to be one of my favorite performances from you. Well done!
Poke - I think that this was solid and interesting, but I didn't like the fact that the song didn't go anywhere. i mean, yes you sounded good, and your unique tone helped me enjoy this a bit more. But I didn't like how bland it was, so definitely work on your energy, and find a happy medium between soft and exciting. Not your worst though. Good job!
Carson - I totally understand how they don't have an instrumental for this, but wow! I was so pleased with this! I mean, I couldn't even tell you didn't have an instrumental because I was too caught up in your singing, which was strong, and fun to listen to. Great job!
Tundra - Yay! You have finally found a performance to get you back on track, and I loved it! I think the vocal was powerful, and controlled. So awesome job for that. I also found the emotion was hit on the head, and I loved that aspect as well. Overall wonderful job!
Essence - This was really pretty, and extremely solid. Plus you stayed on pitch throughout, and you showed your ability to really portray emotion again. I did find you didn't really push through the biggest note in the song, however overall the performance was more than pulled together, and really strong. Good job!
3303 days 8 hours ago
TolisKalkas
Comments from Zach
Silver - Once again I heard sliding. It was better since the vocals were simpler, but just because the song is simpler doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have meaning. I feel like you lost the meaning in this one and I was bored by this performance. I need to hear some more energy and emotion! This performance was static.
Daniel - Yes!!!! This was great! You absolutely killed this performance! Great job! Kudos to you! I felt the message and loved the performance as a whole! Great step up!
Poke - This was a big improvement for you! The pitch was great! With your tone this song was a hit! I loved this performance! Great job!
Carson - When I realized that this was acapella I got scared. Usually when people sing a cover acapella they don’t stay on pitch, but you did it! This wasn’t my favorite performance of yours, but I enjoyed it. Good job.
Tundra - Once again, your tone is stunning, but you tend to be just a cent flat. Just support and really empower notes when you hold them! It would bring you performance to the next level! Besides that this cover was stunning. This was a nice choice and you sounded great on it! Good Job!
Essence - Your tone is always very sweet and this was a great choice of song for you! You were great! If I could say one thing to change though it would just be to try and put a little more into the lyrics. I still am not really getting the emotion 100%, but it is still there, besides that though this was a great performance! Great job!
3303 days 8 hours ago
TolisKalkas
Comments from Mat
"Silver - Vocal - I think this is your best vocal of the season. It was clean, it was controlled. It was powerful at points and soft at others. You’ve got such a good voice and I am so impressed that you managed to learn this song and then deliver it so well in such a short time. You’ve definitely stepped it up.
Performance - Again, as usual, I felt you connected with song so well. Your performance levels have never ever let me down and that is no different this week. This truly was great! I think this competition needs someone as enjoyable and consistent as you and it would be awful if you were to go home this week. "
"Daniel - Vocal - I absolutely LOVE that you found a eurovision song with a rap in it, so obviously this was the absolute perfect song choice for you and you were clearly going to nail it. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.
Performance - Whenever you do a rap song there is no faulting your performance. You give it your all. You do your thaaaang. The energy was there. The fun was there. This was everything a eurovision performance should be, in my eyes. This was definitely the most memorable performance of the night. "
"Poke - Vocal - Your voice fits this song absolutely perfectly. The tone made this everything and I just loved it so much. You continue to improve each week and I really think you’re the dark horse of this competition. You’re climbing up the leaderboard and if you keep it up, I can’t see anything stopping you from winning.
Performance - You managed to get that haunting kinda vibe that this song requires, which I was worried about when I saw the song choice, but you nailed it. Yay. Yay. Yay. I don’t know what else to say! I loved this."
Carson - Vocal - You know how I feel about acapella. I don’t think it’s hard to stick in headphones and sing along with the track. It keeps you in tune. With that being said, I actually loved this. It sounded so good. I have node why all of a sudden I like acapella, but I really found that this worked. Well done. Performance -For an acapella song, this really had a lot of energy and emotion in it. So you clearly did something right! Well done, Carson :D
"Tundra - Vocal - It didn’t start off hugely well for me, and I kinda got a bit worried, but it definitely progressed and became much better throughout. There was quite a few off moments, but I think that’s because you’ve finally given me something that’s got real emotion in it, so actually, I’m quite happy with that! I loved that you added more vibrato into your vocal too. Again, typical you, but you did do a fast second song, so it’s okay for this week! :P 
Performance - For the first minute and a bit I wasn’t really feeling anything from your performance, but wow you turned it up for the second half of the performance. I heard it then!  Definitely one of your more emotional performances this season. Really happy with this song! Really well done"
"Essence - Vocal - Oh wow. This was stunning. This was just. Wow. I just. Wow. I actually think this is better than Glitter In The Air. I really, really think your voice has progressed into something so strong and so amazing. You blew everyone else out of the water again, Essence. Two standout performances in the last two weeks. You’re amazing
Performance - It was the most emotional performance of the whole season. I honestly almost cried. I’ve never heard a eurovision sound so sad and emotional. It sounds like you put so much pain into this and I loved it so much."
3303 days 8 hours ago
TolisKalkas
Comments from Fritzyyyyy
Silver - First time listening to anyone this season, and honestly, your voice is a grower. I gave it a fair shot and gave it a second listen, as it threw me through a bit of a loop first hearing you (and when I say that, I don't mean any offense -- it's not bad, it's just DIFFERENT). Vocally, I thought you were pretty solid throughout. Most of the notes you went up for, you managed to hold them pretty well and they didn't drop off abruptly. On a performance value note, I thought it progressed well. On a whole, I think you might have been better suited for something a bit more up-tempo, but seeing as though you're not a Eurovision person (saw your comments), you picked a song that's pretty easy for the judges to connect with. Solid.
Daniel - Dig your style. Definitely think you made the right choice going with this over Electro Velvet, though NOT GONNA LIE, I would have liked to hear you attempt it. As far as I can tell, this is right up your alley, and you performed it quite well. Over my time judging TI stuff, you are seemingly upper tier at what you do. Absolutely no complaints about this, and Tolis can vouche that you are the type of performer that I would have absolutely loved mentoring based off of this.
Poke - SO WE MEET AGAIN. I've been rough on you in the past, so firstly, I'd like to say that I'm extremely happy that you don't seem to use reverb on your performances anymore. I was mostly hard on it because I don't think you need it at all, your voice is interesting enough to stand up on it's own. This song is ~near and dear~ to my heart and I appreciate the type of restraint it takes to perform it the right way. It's a very subtle type of song, and I think you did a good job of staying true to that. I enjoyed it, and you've definitely improved since I last heard you.
Carson - Risky choice doing this acapella, as the song is so anthemic that I feel like it lacks a lot without the instrumental quite a bit. I know you said you couldn't find a karaoke version of it, but I think you may have made a mistake by not going with something else in that case. That isn't to say that I don't think that it was solid vocally, because it was, but it's really hard to nail an acapella performance, and more often than not it falls a little flat in comparison. You've got a pleasant tone, there wasn't any glaring flaws in the vocal (which is big plus, as acapella leaves it much harder to ignore the flaws), and it was a nice enough listen to the point where I can't rip you apart for the choice. Still, I think you might have a hard time standing up to other performances this week from what I've witnessed in past seasons. Hopefully you prove me wrong!
Tundra - Christ, you're good. Truly have nothing to negatively critique you about, and all of the positives would make me seem like a fangirl. I'll just go with one positive, and that's how well you hit the bigger notes -- the last note was particularly impressive. You're good, and something tells me that you don't even need to hear that from me, as there is a LOT of confidence in your approach. Keep this up and I'd be surprised if I didn't check back in a few weeks (or however long it is) to see that you're in the finale.
Essence - You have a really sweet tone, and not to the point where it's nauseating, so amen for that. I love the song, but it's a little minimalist piano track that is really stripped back, so it relies pretty heavily on a really clean vocal. The vocal was really nice in parts, but I felt like you struggled a bit and things got shaky at times. I'm almost positive it was due to breath issues, and I'm not the person to ask for tips on that, so I would consult Tolis to get some pointers in that area. Like I said, you have a strong/sweet tone that, and it could shine a lot more if it was able to hold up throughout instead of being a bit hit or miss. I hear a lot more potential than the results that were produced, but I still mostly enjoyed it.
3303 days 8 hours ago
TolisKalkas
Comments from Tolis
Silver - This was all over the map. Some parts were great, but other had issues with pitch or phrasing, or (real) emotion. It was too much and tried slightly too hard and felt short
Daniel - I wish you played up the schtick a little more. Like I wish you were a little more over the top. It's book of mormon, you need to play up every single comedic line. It was overall great, but I was hoping for a little more from you this week (in both this and your ESC performance)
Poke - I think you held back a little. Like you were having fun, perfroming great, but you were just holding back and not letting yourself truly go after the big notes when you could've gone BIG. Overall fun and good, but don't hold back!
Carson - Vocals were good on this one, I just feel like you could've delivered a little more on the performance though. It just seemed halfway there in terms of the delivery of the lines. Didn't quite convince me you were toasting to the ladies who lunch.
Tundra - nobody gonna sing with rayyyyyy okay... take out 1:43 - 2:03 and I think performance wise you were nailing. Again, though I think the biggest issue i'm having with you this week is how high you are taking everything. You were high the entire song that the last "blue skies and sunshine, guaranteed" just went too much. you nearly had me with this one... but you lost me with those 2 sections.
Essence - if this was one of the first weeks, I would say this was great... but nearing the end... it was just underwhelming with enunciation issues and swooping that just didn't quite do it for a top 6 performance..
3303 days 8 hours ago
TolisKalkas
Comments from Kyle
Silver - I think this was a solid performance, but you were giving the vibe that you didn't want to sing, and that brought this down a bit for me. However I think vocally this was on-pitch, and the runs were very solid as well. However your transitions got shaky so I would work on that if I were you. Still well done! (The end note was awesome!)
Daniel - This was a really fun piece, just as the first performance was. Howver the humor in this one made smile a little more. Sadly though, I found the vocals a little off, and it threw me for a loop this time around. I really think you could of done better with this, but that doesn't mean it was bad. I mean, it was good, I just feel you could of done a little better. Good job!
Poke - This is a better level of energy! I also have to say I liked the vocal, I mean, I was really happy too that when you went for bigger notes you didn't shout them this time. At least not at first. However as the song went on, you started to shout a little, and growl, which isn't ba if used correctly. However for this song I don't think it was needed, nor was the shouting. Nonetheless I think this was better than your last performance, and I enjoyed it. Strong!
Carson - Wow, look at this dark horse! What I mean by saying darkhorse is that originally I saw you as a solid competitor, yet you ddin't really stand out. However this week I saw exactly the opposite. I mean, you shocked with your enterpretation of the song with your speaking, and singing. I mean, solid job! Well one! (Just make sure to watch for those big notes, so you don't get nasally)
Tundra - I liked the energy in this performance, and how you sung most of the song, because just like the other song of the night, this was incredible. However, even with most of song being tuly, you still slipped at a few points. One point in particular was the last note of the song, which sadly was ungodly sharp. I think if you han't done that last note, this could of been the musical performance of the night. Instead it was a close second. Nice job!
Essence - This was something different from you! I have to also have to say I highly enjoyed it. I liked how it flowed, how you sang it, and how moving it was. I mean, hands down one of your strongest technical performances as well. Then you hit those end high notes, and I was speechless. Wow!
3303 days 8 hours ago
TolisKalkas
Comments from Zach
Silver - The vocals were once again sloppy! There were a few moment when you were flat when you help notes, and it was rough. This song is iconic, and it can be a detrimental error to performance. As it went on the vocals got even more sloppy. The emotion was also lacking! This song is one of the most emotional songs ever! I just didn’t feel it
Daniel - Once again. The singing isn’t up to par with the others at this point. There are pitch issues. I will admit that this was better than some of your others, but I was hoping that you would do something from In the Heights! That show is my jam!!!!!! Anyways, back to your performance. I also feel like this wasn’t done correctly with emotion and performance in general. Musical theatre is even more conversational than pop music. You should have almost spoke this out with pitch.
Poke - This started out amazingly! I was so excited! Then the pitch started getting off. I feel like this song may have been a bit high for you. Besides that though I honestly loved this song in your voice. I enjoyed this performance, but wish that the entire thing could have been on pitch! This could have easily been your best performance if you did!
Carson - This is one of my favorite songs of all time, but that said, I was not impressed. Pitch was off in the beginning. This is a low song for a guy. I have sang it multiple times and it is hard to find the right key for me and it is hard to sing along with the karaoke. Sondheim is always a risk and in this case I don’t think it played out well for you. This is not a singy song. This is a toast. Try and speak singing. If you wanted to sing out then you should have picked something else. The emotion also wasn’t there. This is a song where a drunk woman let’s her real feelings out and I was not feeling that raw natural truth that comes to this song. I feel like you made it too poppy.
Tundra - YASSSSSS!!! You slayed this! I feel like the energy in this song helped your pitch a lot! I enjoyed this performance a lot! Great job!
Essence - Honestly when I heard this song I was skeptical, and this was good, but it wasn’t amazing. This song takes a powerhouse voice, and you don’t have that. Your voice is great the way it is. It is sweet and endearing, but it is not meant for belty songs like this. Song selection is super important at this point in the competition. Try and think of songs that will complement. I do think that you did a decent job even though I don’t think this was the right song. There were moments when listening where I was in love with your voice. I think you are strong competitor, but you need to start really thinking through song choices. If you need help please contact me!
3303 days 8 hours ago
TolisKalkas
Comments from Mat
"Silver - Vocal - There was some HUGE notes in this song and I was completely dreading you singing this when I heard what it was, but wow. You NAILED it. Okay, there was some notes that went a little off at points, but for every note that went off, there was a note that you hit so spectacularly that it made me forget the off notes. This vocal was insane. Your range is so so so brilliant.
Performance - You gave this your all and I could tell. There was so much power and so much energy in this performance. Again, I don’t think this is a performance that should be an exit song. I remember you ever week and I feel like you completely deserve your place here. Yay! "
"Daniel - Vocal - I love that, at the start of this competition I just saw you as the fun act that would get a bit tiresome throughout. I was so wrong. I never thought you could nail a musical song so well. But you definitely decided on a very smart song choice - it was genius. I loved it. This sounded the most musical out of the whole bunch. Yay!
Performance - I just loved this. I listened to it 3 times in a row. It is everything that I wanted from a musical performance. As soon as you made the crying noise I absolutely died and it was so funny, and then when you did the “I might get cancer too” line it was delivered so perfectly. My favourite performance of the whole season"
"Poke - Vocal - Your tone is so old school and so nice. I just love it so much. It stands out so much on this song, and it just sounds so brilliant. I think I heard a few growls in there too which I loved. Some of the higher notes sounded a little weak, but there was only a few of them. Just try back them up with some power a little more in future - you don’t need to shout them. Just try support them a little more! Good job!
Performance - As usual your performance is great. The only thing that annoyed me a little was the instrumental break, because it was a bit like “Oh….where’s the singing”, but I think that was just down to the music being quiet, and if the music was loud, it would’ve been fine, so I’m putting that down to something out of your control, so it won’t impact your mark. Again, really good job!
"
"Carson - Vocal - Your best vocal in weeks. I loved this. It was clean. It was smooth. It was everything I have wanted for you for weeks. Perfect song choice. Perfect just ugh. Your voice is so suited to musical. I loved, loved, loved this.
Performance - Yes. Yes. Yes. You’re the only one to actually perform as if this was a musical, if that makes sense. I literally do not know what else to say. I totally didn’t expect this. I thought you would be good at this theme, but this just blew me away! Well done! :D"
"Tundra - Vocal - YAS. YAS. YAS. WOOP. WOOP. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR FROM YOU. I AM SO FUCKING HAPPY WITH THIS! The whole season I have been waiting for something from you that was as good as last season and I wasn’t getting it. I have no idea why, but this absolutely is up to that standard! There was one thing that I was SURE was going to happen but didn’t and I’m so annoyed it didn’t was at the end when you when…Guaran…teeeeeeeeeee - If you had flipped into falsetto and added a little run I legit would’ve died. It would’ve just brought this to such a high level, but the rest of the song was so bloody great I’m not going to deducted any marks from you
Performance - I am SOO happy you did a fast one. I mean, I know you’re not hugely comfortable with it, and I’ve just come to accept that now, but you didn’t show that at all in this performance. I was smiling, I was dancing. I really, really liked this! Your voice suits this type of song so much. It really, really does. I loved the track you used to sing with too. Ugh! so so so so good! FINALLY a performance that puts you in with a chance at winning! So happy"
"Essence - Vocal - Yet another beautiful performance. You’ve stepped it up so muc
3303 days 8 hours ago
TolisKalkas
Comments from Fritzyyyyy
Silver - Vocally, I thought it started off a lot more shaky than your Eurovision performance. I quickly stopped giving a shit about your vocal, as you were so committed to the performance that I got lost in that. Major props for that. I absolutely adore how ballsy you are -- I can tell that absolutely no fucks were given and you went balls to the wall and completely let go. Much admiration. I've been informed that I ~have~ to take vocal into consideration when judging this season, so I'm going to give it a second listen strictly based on vocal. k, listening again, and to be frank, I don't care if the vocal got rough in spots, because I'm still blown away by your commitment to what you're doing. It WAS rough in parts, but again, your energy and how much you sold it definitely outweighs it. On another note, your falsetto is a lot better than a lot of people I've heard attempt it in TI before you.
Daniel - Interesting choice. It's hard to judge this one vocally, but musically and performance wise, it was definitely on point. Musical pieces like this are admittedly not my forte, so I'm definitely lacking here on feedback, but that doesn't mean I think you did a poor job with it. It's solid.
Poke - I'm a bit torn on the song choice -- I think the vibe of it really suits your voice well and it lets you let loose and get ~funky~ with it, but at the same time, it's about half vocal/half instrumental, so the long instrumental pause made things feel sliiiightly awkward. When you were, you know, asked to sing, you REALLY got into it and I was completely into it. It wasn't the cleanest vocal, but I really enjoyed what you did with it, to the point where I can completely forgive any slight flaws in the vocal. As a whole, I felt it, but at this stage of the game, song choice is almost as important as performance. Just something to keep in mind.
Carson - Not to be a nitpicky asshole, but to totally be a nitpicky asshole... do I hear you typing in the middle of the performance? If so, that's one of my Tengaged Idol pet peeves. If not, apologies. Vocally, it's extremely steady and I've got no complaints. Wish you would have picked something that was a little more high energy, but that might just be my own personal tastes. I think you did well on the parts that required higher energy.
Tundra - Not to discourage anyone else, because anyone can slip up and I've seen some pretty strong vocalists not win this, but you are two for two with the strongest performances in both categories for me. High energy, strong vocal, no complaints whatsoever. Your confidence (and hell, if you're not, you're doing an amazing job at faking it until you make it) is stellar.
Essence - This was infinitely better than your Eurovision performance. I'm now 100% sure that a lot of the issues you were having with breath control in your Eurovision performance were due to the pace of the song, as this one had a slower pace and your voice held up a lot solidly. Again, I really enjoy your tone, and it was nice to hear it hold up. Good work.
3303 days 8 hours ago
TolisKalkas
Results of the Eurovision Performances:

Best Vocal: Tundra
Best Performance: Daniel

1        ::        8.70        ::        Tundra
2        ::        8.44        ::        Daniel
3        ::        8.26        ::        Essence
4        ::        8.04        ::        Silver
5        ::        7.98        ::        Poke
6        ::        7.52        ::        Carson
3303 days 8 hours ago
TolisKalkas
Results of the Musical Performances:

Best Vocal: Tundra
Best Performance: Tundra

1        ::        9.14        ::        Tundra
2        ::        8.20        ::        Essence
3        ::        8.18        ::        Poke
4        ::        7.66        ::        Daniel
5        ::        7.16        ::        Silver
6        ::        6.94        ::        Carson
3303 days 8 hours ago
TolisKalkas
Again... here is how the 3 week total was broken down

10% - Week 5
30% - Week 6
60% - Week 7

open group

Tengaged (Karaoke) Idol (... 15?)

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!